SoundEd: Professional Development to Inform, Influence & Inspire.
After leading various professional development sessions and moderating panel discussions, the need arose for a more formal organization to bring teachers, leaders and innovators together. Through SoundEd, Peter Briggs teaches students, coaches teachers and shares his years of research and experience locally and nationally to utilize TRUST PSYCHOLOGY and GROWTH PEDAGOGY. This approach develops an awareness of equity, builds culturally responsiveness and enables social-emotional learning. When student belong in the learning spaces and trust their learning communities, they will achieve and succeed.
Peter Briggs, SoundEd Founder
Peter Briggs has been teaching music of all types for 18 years, including band, choir, drumline, and music theory. He got his start at Central Washington University with a Bachelors Degree in 2004. He continued his education by getting his National Board Certification in 2010 (when his first child, Ainsley, was born). He then finished up with a Master’s Degree from American Band College, which he started right after his second child, Andrew, was born in 2013 (his wife was thrilled with the timing).
For the moment he is living in the tiny hamlet of Sumner, Wash., a suburb of Tacoma, where he’s taught in an inner-city school for ten years. Here he honed his philosophy of teaching, which he is now ready to disseminate to the masses through professional development! That’s why you’re here on his page! Hurray!
What other cool/neat/awesome stuff has happened? So glad you asked!
- His drumline has been featured across the state in such notable performances as an NFL Half-time show. Legit!
- He is the recipient of the Outstanding Alumnus award from Central Washington University’s School of Education in 2017.
- Washington Music Educators Association’s Educator of the Year for the Commencement Bay Region in 2019.
- Was a Top 10 Finalist for 2020 National Music Teacher of the Year through Music & Arts.
- Voted “Best Cookie Baker” by both of his children, ten years running!
- Voted “Cutest Guy in Tacoma” by his wife, who definitely did NOT write this bio!